Off to Millbank today for the Tesco press tasting. Tesco, the UK’s largest supermarket, is also one of the globe’s biggest wine retailers. So it’s important for many consumers that they get their range right.
At the last major Tesco tasting in October 2010, the signs were that all was not terribly well with the Tesco range. It seemed that there was a lot of buying on price, with a fall in the quality of the wines.
Today’s tasting, however, will be regarded by Tesco as somewhat of a triumph. The range was divided into ‘favourites’ and ‘new wines’. And both shone. I found plenty of interest here, and evidence of really smart buying in the new additions to the range.
Highlights? Well, too many to mention here, but a few personal favourites – wines I would buy – include:
- Brocard Chablis 1er Cru Quintessance Mineral Rive 2008 (£15.99)
- Tesco Finest Albarino Pazo Serrantellos 2010 (£7.79)
- Tesco Finest Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc 2010 (£7.99)
- Tim Adams Clare Valley Semillon 2009 (£11.29)
- Tesco Finest Tingleup Riesling Howard Park 2010 (£9.29)
- Tesco Finest Autumn Picked Riesling 2010 Marlborough (£9.99)
- Tesco Finest Denbies Estate English White 2010 (£8.79)
- Tesco Finest Falhangina 2010 Puglia (£8.99)
- Thornbury Riesling 2008 Marlborough (£10.99)
- Brancott Estate Pinot Noir 2009 (£9.49)
- Encantado by Tabali Pinot Noir Reserve 2010 Limari (£8.99)
- Tesco Finest Cotes Catalanes Carignan 2o10 (£6.99)
- Malbec Les Comtes Cahors 2008 (£8.99)
- Baron de Ley Varietales Maturana 2009 Rioja (£8.99)
- Pago de los Capellanes Ribera del Duero 2010 (£12.99)
- Tesco Finest Douro Reserve 2008 (£7.29)
- Tesco Finest Touriga Nacional (£7.79)
- Tesco Finest Teroldego 2009 Trentino (£5.99)
- Zalze Shiraz Mourvedre Viognier 2010 (£6.99)
- Emiliana O Syrah 2010 Rapel (£7.99)
- Broquel Bonarda 2009 Mendoza (£10.99)
- Tesco Finest Sauternes 2007 (£12.99)
- Quinta do Noval 20 year old Tawny (£20.79)
- Noval LBV Port 2005 (£13.49)
- Tesco Finest Vintage Port 1994 (£20.59)
- Klein Constantia Vin de Constance 2005 (£165 for a case of six)
Pictured top: the view from Millbank, looking towards MI6 and Vauxhall Bridge. Below, Millbank.