Questions on biodynamics
A leading expert on biodynamics kindly agreed to answer some queries I had about this unusual but increasingly important way of growing wine grapes. Here are the 12 questions I sent him. Have you got any you'd like to add to the list?
- Is 'naturalness' a valid and important concept in wine?
- Does the BD approach follow through from the vineyard to impact what goes on in the cellar?
- Is there a benefit to BD over what can be achieved by organics plus composting? If so, what?
- Are there elements of BD that people can adopt and see benefit from without taking on board the whole package of treatments and timings?
- How did you first get into BD?
- How much efficacy can people achieve with just the treatments and not the timings?
- What do you think about Nicolas Joly's views on the effects of electrical currents on wines?
- Is biodynamics metaphysical, involving a realm outside the scope of scientific physical measurement?
- Is BD practical for larger companies?
- What about BD in vineyards where the grower only owns a small section, such as the isolated blocks of vines owned by growers in the top vineyards of the Mosel?
- Do you see any value in trying to reconcile conventional viticulture with BD viticulture?
- If a top Bordeaux property came to you and asked about implementing BD, where would you start them off?