Sitting waiting for my appointment at the dentist. I worry about my teeth because I’m tasting so much wine. Getting teeth fixed is expensive and uncomfortable, and I’d quite like to keep these ones I have as long as possible.
But exposing them regularly to acidic liquids is not ideal. After a long tasting my mouth often feels a bit beaten up. Whites tend to have low pH, and Champagnes lowest of all, which means that they’re more acidic (although the pH isn’t strictly correlated with the quantity of acid, measured as TA). German Rieslings might hover just above pH3; sparkling wines are typically just on pH3. Reds are usually 3.6 or above.
The most important thing to remember is not to brush your teeth after a big tasting, even if your mouth looks weird and your teeth black. You need to wait a couple of hours at least, or else you’ll damage the softened enamel.